ABOUT | CATEGORIES | APPLICATION | CONTESTANTS | NEWS & EVENTS | SPONSORS
For more information, contact
Scott Green. ACT-SO Chair
The art of performing with a device used to produce music with the tones of the present.
1. The musical selection must be one specifically written for solo performances and may not exceed five (5) minutes. (Contestants not adhering to the maximum time requirement are subject to disqualification.)
2. The selection performed should feature a solo performance. If other players are needed (as in a jazz selection), they must be provided by the contestant.
3. The only instrument provided for performance will be a piano. Any additional instruments or equipment needed must be provided by the contestant.
4. The selection of music and instrument is solely the decision of the contestant.
5. Examples of contemporary music are Broadway, Jazz, Gospel, Blues, etc.
NOTE: The deadline for submission of National registration documents is the first Friday in May.
No materials or copies will be accepted at the local competition.
Contestants will be judged by the following criteria:
Effectiveness of style, improvisation (20 pts)
Intonation, touch (piano) (20 pts)
Stage presence, choice of music (20 pts)
Technique, articulation, breathing, tonality, rhythm, facility (20 pts)
Tone quality, beauty, control, characteristic timbre (20 pts)